Tuesday 8 October 2019

Wheels for All, September 2019

The day before I was going into hospital for a spine operation, I got an email within the local cycle campaign group to let us know about this event at the end of the month.


I could not believe my luck, I have been hinting & asking for this sort of event for some years & heard nothing about it & when I did, it's during the time I could be in hospital recovering from a spine operation.

Well thankfully the operation went well & was done by keyhole surgery, so was out just after 3 days & meant I was likely to go along. And on the first day I was able to, tho I could not ride any of the cycles whilst recovering from the operation. I wanted to go & give my support to the event & see who was there, as well as see all the wonderful cycles that would be used.

The first day was a bit drizzly but people went & was more about talking to those who went along & discuss what it was all about, promoting that the disabled can also enjoy cycling whether cycling themselves or doubled up with another rider to enjoy the ride. I got to speak to various people who were running the event & discovered the plans for the cycle track at the Northern Gateway Leisure Centre & I can tell ya it's gonna be better than I thought it would be & look forward to seeing it open & write up about it next year once I see it open & get to visit. I also had a good look round the cycles too as there were some interesting designs for all sort of abilities to cycle or to enjoy cycling.

 

 

 

 

But as the day came near to the end, I just had to ride something, so I rode what is basically an all terrain mobility scooter called BOMA which is designed to be ridden by anyone. Even those who have limited movement or strength, I have ridden it before a few years back as it is based at Highwoods Country Park for hire & was kindly loaned for the 2 day event.

 

Even tho it was a tiring day, I did enjoy it & hoped the next day be even better if my body was up for the job of doing this all again.

Thankfully my body was, tho slightly achy from the day before but I knew I can take it easy there & enjoy the day. When I arrived, it had already started & a group of children were already enjoying the cycles & as the day went on other joined & tried out the cycles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I also got to have a better look at the cycles...

 

One of which is one I have known about for some years & here it was that day & I could not cycle it, the Van Raam Easy Rider. ðŸ˜ž A very versatile looking tricycle which has quite a few options of adaptations to suit all sort of rider.

 

And tho I could not cycle this lovely machine, I could at least sit on it to see what it feels like to be on the cycle. And stayed on it for over 15 mins as it was so bloody comfortable I did not want to get off. And thanks to Rick for taking the photos of me on the Easy Rider. The only thing I thought the cycle needed to make it even better would be apehanger handlebars. 😉



And as the day started to wind down & got quieter I asked if someone could take me on this lovely tricycle designed to carry wheelchair users in their wheelchairs, Van Raam VeloPlus. Was pleased that they said yes & got to ride this cycle as a wheelchair user would & went around the track twice.



Best way to describe it is that it was very smooth to ride on, nippier than I expected & the pedal assistance was barely noticeable & the person cycling found it wasn't to much of a strain. It felt like as if I was flying along on a flying carpet (if I ever get the chance too of course) 😉.


But alas the day eventually came to an end, all who ran it gathered to discuss the feedback they got from those who came & it was clear everyone running the event & who came to the event all had a great time & smiling. And was great to meet those who ran the event & even more pleased to hear they plan another in December which likely be an indoor event due to the time of year. And hopefully I be allowed to cycle then so I can try out these cycles & help cycle others around too.

I like to say thanks to Colchester Borough Council, Sustrans East, Cycling ProjectLeonard CheshireAshfield Special Needs & anyone else involved in the running of the event I didn't get to know who you work for or forgotten. I has a great time being there (even if I could not cycle) & sure look forward to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment